Friday, September 11, 2009

A New Era of NPBC

"A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated by a watch." ~Jane Austen

Sound like anyone you know?

Have I found the motto for the No-Pressure Book Club? Honestly! We are not good about keeping a schedule. But that's the whole point. Don't rush us, we'll get around to meeting. I like our philosophy, even if we take it to the extreme sometimes.

But I do think some things about NPBC need to change. I have talked to several of you and everyone has agreed. Here is my proposal. Please let me know what you think by commenting below. I am opening up the blog for anyone to comment.

1. Meet every other month. We need longer amounts of time to read the books.

2. Meet in the evenings. The lunch-time meeting worked for a couple of years. But moving it to the evening will allow us to invite more people. We'll have more time to chat about the book and life and whatever. What do you think about 8 or 8:30 p.m.? That gives people enough time to get home from work and have dinner with their families. Then, we can meet somewhere for dessert or drinks or whatever.

3. Stick to a day. How about the first or the fourth Friday of every other month? The first or fourth Friday seems easy to remember. What do you think? That would make Oct. 2 or Oct. 23 our first meeting.

4. Invite more people.

5. Organize our meetings. What do you think about actually having an organized discussion of each book? Maybe someone could volunteer each time to look up some good book discussion questions or topics...what do you think?

***

Here are the things I hope we can keep the same. Again, let me know what you think.

1. A mix of genres. I like going from chick lit to YA to historical fiction. It keeps things interesting. And, like always, anyone who is not interested in a certain genre can always choose to skip the book.

2. No pressure. Again, if you don't want to read the book, no biggie. We'll catch you next time around.

***

If you are interested in being in, or staying in, the NPBC, please comment below. We are currently reading The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama.

~Kerrie

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like all of your ideas.

I think meeting the first Friday of every other month would be great. I also love desserts and drinks so meeting over a warm brownie or glass of wine to discuss a book sounds wonderful to me.

I wouldn't mind being in charge of finding discussion questions about the books. I'd also like to invite one friend to join in our book club.

Thank you for organzing everything.

Kerrie said...

I've heard from Vicki and Kelley who both like the idea, as well.

Vicki suggested we take turns/volunteer to round up discussion questions.

Kelley suggested making the meeting time earlier (7ish).

Kerrie said...

Timory, please invite away! It would be great to have more people in the club.

I like Vicki's suggestion about us volunteering to gather discussion questions. What does everyone else think?

And, while I do like Kelley's suggestion about meeting earlier, I know that I cannot make it that early. I could try for 7:30, but I may be late occasionally depending on my husband's work schedule. So, what does everyone think about 7:30?

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT NPBC! Let's get more peeps!

Kerrie said...

Hilary said:
Thanks for the invite. I am new to book clubs. I actually went to one book club meeting before and the discussion questions were intimidating for me(maybe it was the people, the book, or what?). I would like to participate. I'm not sure if Friday evenings will always work for me but heck, every other month...I should be able to make it! 7:30 should work for me as well. Just not too many places open at that time. Is
the NPBC in the "Maple Valley area"? Thanks again for inviting me!

Kerrie said...

Sorry everyone, I am dumb. I forgot to fix the comment settings, so it wasn't allowing non-registered users to comment. It is fixed and the it is open to everyone! Comment to your heart's desire!

Heather F said...

Thanks for the invite Kerrie! I will try to get the book this weekend and see if I can get it finished before the Oct. 2 meeting. I'm also new to book clubs but can be very opinionated!

:-)

Kerrie said...

Wendy said:
I'd like to join the evening book club but don't know if I could make it all the time depending or where you meet and when. Please keep me on
the e-mail list though! I think meeting at 8 is a bit late if you choose to meet in Bellevue as most of us that work at PACCAR that are in
the book club don't live close to Bellevue.

Amy said...

I would love to join your club!

Thanks,

Amy